2.17.2010

Unexpected Blessing...PT. 2

Continued... So, minutes see like hours at this point and I start to question my sanity. But I go to my appointment. The Dr. walks in, speaks very loudly at me (I wonder if he has the right patient, there is a 90 year old lady next door) & proceeds to take out his palm pilot looking device and scroll through it. He did this for 15 minutes. Everytime I tried to speak, he cut me off (still extremely loud, I'm sure he was well heard in the waiting room). He was him/hawing back and forth saying yes it's fine, no it's not. Then after 15 painstaking minutes of watching him scroll through his palm pilot thingy and making eyes and faces at Ken to keep both our sanity, he concluded that he would leave me on the medication I'm on until I can see my regular Dr. ARE YOU KIDDING ME????? Wait another week? Yea, he's not sure if he should change it (after I tell him what I've been through and been told, oh did I mention he refuses to speak with a midwife?) so I had to question myself each time I took my meds for another 7 days until I could see my regular GP. This was getting a bit ridiculous. Oh, I forgot to mention, I told him I wanted a confirmed hospital pregnancy test to verify I was indeed pregnant, he says not a problem, but forgot to give it to me, so I ask the nurse before I leave, she runs to catch him. Oh yea, he forgot, goo pee in a cup. Apparently the HPT is just as accurate as the hospital ones now. Then I ask the nurse how long it takes to find out. DO I wait a day? a week? Who knows with this place! She tells me they can find out right away, but she needed to speak with the Dr. She asks him if he wants the results stat, he says "Naww". I felt like strangling him. She speaks with the lab, tells me I could call back at 5pm and speak with a nurse in emerg, they would be able to tell me. I laugh, out loud. I think Ken laughed too. What else is there to do at this point? So I call back, but not until 5:30, I figure, this gives them extra time. The nurse puts me on hold, then tells me theres no test registered in my chart, to call back tomorrow. Well, isn't this place just full of suprises! So I call back the next day, in the afternoon, yes the results are there but I have to speak with a doctor, they can't give me the results, they said they would leave him a message to call me as soon as possible. I was thinking something must be wrong, maybe I'm not prego? I was so anxious all evening, that night, I knew there was a shift change, I decided to give emerg one more shot. Lo and behold, someone says, "Congratulations! You're Pregnant!" Yay! Wait, why could she give me this information so fast? Oh well. At least it's confirmed by the hospital. But really, at this point, I'm not sure that comforts me or worries me. lol. So, I still have to wait it out, all the while thinking I was absolutely nuts. The following Wednesday comes, we're now at Feb 3rd. I go to see my regular GP (Thank God!) He always makes me feel better. I tell him the whole situation I went through, he was mind boggled. Read some information, spoke with an OB, imagine that! The decided because there was a possible risk, he didn't want to take any chances, switched meds right away. I was in and out in no time. He confirmed that the meds I was on could cause birth defects and is not good for pregnant women. Well, this makes me feel better (somewhat) so now I have to wait to see an OB/GYN for my first ante-natal visit on March 1st (apparently the earliest appointment available and I booked in January). So, I just try to sit back and enjoy the bloating, mood swings, cravings, gas, cramping and all the things that go with it (not knowing what's normal, Thabk God for Google!). A few people mentioned to me about going to Healthy Baby Club, so I figured, maybe I should give it a try. I find out the time and place and on Feb 10th I attend my first session, along with my Dear Fiancee. Well the midwife there was extremely nice and helpful and listened to me rant on and on about my situation. Well whaddya know! She was just as concerned as I was. So, she decides (after filling out massive paperword) to lobby on my behalf. Next day, she comes to work to see me and tells me I go in for my first visit on Monday Feb 15, 2 weeks earlier than the earliest available appointment, lol! Yay! OB & Midwife confirmed that I NEEDED to be seen right away and monitored closely. So, I'm not so crazy afterall (well maybe a little). She actually increases my current meds! I spent almost 2 hours there answering questions, learning new things, getting checked out. I left with paperwork I had to take here and there. Thank God for Ken. He kept me in line, lol. So I went and had to book an apt. for 2 weeks time on a Wednesday morning for my next visit, had bloodwork done and scheduled my first ultrasound, which is today, Wooo!!! So excited (& nervous!)I have to meet with the Public Health Nurse first, then ultrasound after. I have to drink 3 large glasses of water before I go (& expected to hold it). I'm not sure if I can do that, but I'm praying. Seems like my bladder shrunk to the size of a pea. So I'll let you all know how it goes. They said I may not be able to see anything because I'm not that far along, but they want to make sure things are ok. At least know I know I'm being looked after! & Ken has been there for everything. I'm so lucky to have such an involved and concerned partner. Sometimes, I think, if it wasn't for him, I would have fallen apart long ago. -C

3 comments:

  1. Wow thats some story, they do drive people to the edge don't they! I'm dying to know the outcome now, take care.
    Pinky

    ReplyDelete
  2. Opps should have said congratulations!
    Pinky

    ReplyDelete
  3. lol..Thanks for keeping up with my blog. I will post more later!

    ReplyDelete

Leave me a message!