10.14.2010

JR's Birth Story

On Sunday October 3rd, 2010 I was admitted into the hospital at 9pm to start induction at 9:30 by prostin gel. I was examined before hand to see if anything had happened, nothing, then I was given the gel. I felt crampy and burning afterward, but nothing else. I was told I would be checked again at 6am to see if I was dilating. On Monday October 4th, the midwife checked me again and I had not dilated any overnight but my cervix had softened and baby had dropped further, so I got another dose of the gel. I never felt much different so they said they would check me again at 1pm. I was checked and OB said I had dilated 2cm and baby was down another bit. Yay! Progress! So at 6 pm they gave me another dose of the gel. In the morning at 8am, they broke my water, I was 3cm dilated. I spent the whole day in the labour room, hooked up to the drip. Boy, the pain was intense. I refused the epidural and opted for entonox (gas). Did that ever feel good! Haha. I still felt the pain but the gas took the edge off it. I was still laughing between contractions and by 3pm I could hardly take any more, I took the shot of Demerol but I don’t think it did anything. At 5:30 I was checked and no progress, the little guy just did not want to come out. The OB decided to send me for a c section. Lovely. I spent the whole day having contractions now I had to go to the OR. It was scary at first, and I had the option to go to sleep, but Ken wanted to be there really bad, so I took the spinal instead and it numbed me from the mid section down to my toes. Ken was there holding my hand once I got the needle. I was a little nervous, but I couldn’t wait to meet our little man. The tugging and pulling was unbelieveable! But in no time, he was out. At 6:23 pm on Tuesday October 5th, our little Jackson Ryan Walter Reid entered the world. It was a feeling I will never forget. Ken & I couldn’t speak, we both cried as soon as we heard his cry. The midwife took him and suctioned him out and wrapped him up and brought him to me to hold. He was so beautiful, I kissed him and he was whisked off to the nursery to get weighed and such. Daddy went with him. Waiting there was Nanny & Poppy Reid & Grandma Pilgrim. I was in the OR getting stapled back together, boy did that hurt! I was there almost an hour after JR was born. The Dr. Was suctioning out everything and pushing and pulling on my belly. I started to moan and groan because it was too much, they kept telling me it was almost over, but it felt like forever! Then the anesthesiologist wanted to put me to sleep. I refused, I went this far without it, I would handle the rest. I started to get some sensation back when I was getting stapled up and felt the last couple staples go in! Pure torture! But then it was over. They put me on a gurney and wheeled me off to ICU for the night because I had lost so much blood. I was pure white, lips and all. When I got in ICU, the nurses there were great. They cleaned me up and after a couple hours, Ken got to come visit and bring the baby. All I could do was cry. I was so tired and medicated and my memory is a little fuzzy. But it was all worth it. I had to stay in the hospital until Sunday because it was considered major surgery. They were going to let me go on Saturday but baby had a mild touch of jaundice. I was trying to breastfeed and he wasn’t eating well because he didn’t want to stay on the breast. It was very frustrating and the nurses had to supplement him with formula. Finally they brought in a breast pump for me to try and he would drink the milk I pumped out of a syringe. He had a good latch, but he would never stay on, or fall asleep after a few sucks. So when we came home on Sunday I decided that we would go to the pharmacy and get a pump to use at home. Well, the pharmacy had none in stock and didn't know when they would get them. Ok, a little frustrated, but I figured we would try hand expressing and give it to him in a syringe. Well, the hand expressing didn't go to well, I was frustrated, it hurt, and baby was starving. It came to the point we had to supplement formula that afternoon, that’s when I knew we had to make a decision. I wanted to give up breastfeeding, but Ken wanted me to give it 2 more weeks. I was ready to give up then. But then we made a few phonecalls and got a pump from a friend. When we got home my boobs were so engorged I thought they would burst! When I pumped the first lot of milk off, I had to stop early as I though the container would overflow. So, now JR still will not take the breast, but we’re not giving up just yet. I’ve been pumping and giving it to him in a bottle. This way Daddy can feed him too. Maybe one day he will just latch on, we hope. But if not, at least he's still getting breastmilk!

2 comments:

Leave me a message!