10.31.2011

Why Men Hate Going To Church

Well recently, due to a distribution centre mixup, I got to review "Why men hate going to church" by David Murrow. I was upset at first, but then thought, how can I be upset with a free book program. I contacted Booksneeze to get the correct book. They apologized and told me to keep this one too, and they're sending another that was removed from the site. How good is that? So I figured the least I could do is review this one. Well, I was a bit skeptical at first, thinking that this book wasn't for me, boy was I ever wrong. The book is written in a way to make men realize the excuses they are making for not attending church, while helping woen realize they contribute to the shortage of men in churches. The write goes on to explain how we've 'feminized' churches and tailored them towards our (womens) opinions of how they shouls be, from the beautiful floral arrangements to the pink colors. Also, the writer explains how churches have 'softened'. They continue to portray Jesus as a lamb, meek and mild all the time, when in reality, if we look at our Bible we'll see that he was also a lion. For example, when he went into the synogagues and overturned the tables due to the gambling happening there. He was angry, and rightfully so. But Preaches need to bring back their fire and brimstone preaching. Sure, the sugar coating may be nice, and politically correct, but people don;t need any more sugar coating, and that's what are turning the men away. They need to hear the truth, plain and simple. I think this was a very interesting book. I may even pass it along to my Pastor as it does give a few pointers to close that gender gap among men and women and draw more men into congregations. While I probably would never have picked up this book on my own, I do reccomend it as it was a very informative and interesting read. The authors sense of humor was a great asset to the book, made me laugh out loud at times. Disclaimer: I received a free copy of this book from the publisher in exchange for my review. I was not required to write a positive review. The opinion here is entirely my own.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave me a message!