12.27.2011

"I Am in Here: The Journey of a Child with Autism Who Cannot Speak but Finds Her Voice" By Elizabeth M. Bonker & Virgina G. Breen



This book broke my heart over and over again. I cannot imagine not being able to communicate with another person verbally, but yet Elizabeth finds a way to communicate through her poetry. While this book will break your heart, it will also inspire you and stir your soul at the same time. There is so much emotion conveyed through each page, I couldn’t read it all in one sitting. It’s almost like a revelation for people everywhere, not just people looking for answers for autism, but it’s about overcoming obstacles and everyday challenges. This is one family who doesn’t give up and goes to the ends of the earth to find a voice for their child. When reading Elizabeth’s poetry, I laughed, cried and even just had to close the book for a moment because her words were so deep.
I would definitely recommend this book to anyone, but I think it should be part of the high school curriculum in helping students realize disabilities, differences in each other and overcoming obstacles when we work together.

"Book has been provided courtesy of Thomas Nelson and Graf-Martin Communications, Inc. Available at your favourite bookseller from Thomas Nelson".

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave me a message!