5.31.2012

The Most MISused Verses In The Bible By Eric J. Bargerhuff


Are you sure you know what your favorite Bible verses mean?

"I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me."--Philippians 4:13
"'For I know the plans I have for you,' declares the Lord, 'plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future.'"--Jeremiah 29:11
"And we know that for those who love God all things work together for good."--Romans 8:28

These and a surprising number of well-known Scripture passages are commonly misused or misunderstood. Even well-intentioned Christians take important verses out of context, and pastor Eric J. Bargerhuff has seen the effects: confusion, poor decisions, and a distorted view of God's Word.

In this concise yet thorough book, Bargerhuff helps all of us understand what these verses meant when they were written so we can apply them accurately today. Providing fascinating historical and scriptural insights, he shows how to read God's promises and instructions in context and appreciate even more the Bible's eternal message.

I still don't know what to say about this book. It was a great read, yes, but did I agree with everything the author said? No. I know certain verses in the Bible are often taken out of context but to say God was speaking to a nation in Jeremiah 29:11 ('For I know the plans that I have for you,' declares the LORD, 'plans for welfare and not for calamity to give you a future and a hope.' )is true, but that it's not applicable to an individual in this time? I don't agree with. That verse is a promise from God. The author is right in saying God is preparing us for eternity but we still have to provide for our families while here on earth and to me this is a promise that God will see us through.

I'm not saying the author is wrong, I agree with the points he makes I just think he could have elaborated further and verses can have many meanings. I guess this is what he was trying to get away from? I don;t know. Still a great read none the less!


"Book has been provided courtesy of Baker Publishing Group and Graf-Martin Communications, Inc.
Available at your favourite bookseller from Bethany House, a division of Baker Publishing Group".

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave me a message!