12.12.2015

The Love Letters By Beverly Lewis

Marlena needed time to let things sink in. It was beyond her how all this could possibly work out--adding the care of an infant to her daily routine. Fortunately, it would just be until Luella returned home from the hospital and was stronger.No more than a couple weeks, surely.
Marlena Wenger's life takes an unexpected turn on the day she learns she must care for her estranged sister's baby. Spending the summer in Brownstown, Pennsylvania, to assist her Mennonite grandmother, and miles from Marlena's Old Order Amish beau, she feels out of her element in nearly every respect. Yet Marlena determines to do her best and stay focused on her future, even as those hopes become drastically altered.
Well after many mishaps and a frustrating year, the book not arriving or getting lost in the flood at our home, it was finally refreshing to read something to make me feel like there's always someone who has it worse.  I love Beverly Lewis! I follow her on facebook and look forward to her updates and imagine my surprise when I was offered this book from Baker Books in exchange for an honest review! Lewis is very in depth with her descriptions, she certainly has a way of placing you in the time and place that the setting is taking place and causes you to fall in love with the characters over and over, The Love Letters is no exception. Lewis is well versed on the Amish and the Mennonite communities and causes the reader to fall in love with their simple, yet hard working ways of life. The way she tied the characters together, despite disabilities and misfortunes and how they've come to help one another shows how we must be compassionate to those that God has placed in our paths because despite differences we're all on this earth for a purpose. I find myself wanting to meet the actual characters often times because I'm so engrossed in the story I feel as though it's real. This book brings about loss, grief, regrets and how we sometimes must sacrifice our desires to help others. I think I could apply this to my spiritual life as well because how many people is God putting in our path and asking us to sacrifice our selfish desires for His will? Very in depth and thought provoking! Lewis is never a disappointment! Thanks Baker Books for the review copy!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave me a message!